A BRIEF DIARY OF EVENTS OF INTEREST AND DISTINGUISHED VISITORS

1912 First recorded meeting of the Founders, when it was decided that Founder's Jewels (32/6d) and Officers' Collars (22/6d) be purchased and that the banquet following the Consecration should cost 5/6d.
22Oct Consecration and first regular meeting. Eleven candidates for ballot, of whom one afterwards withdrew.
Nov Ten candidates Initiated by dispensation of the Grand Master.  A Lodge Charity Association was formed.
Dec Ten Initiates "Passed".
1913
Jan Nine Fellowcraft "Raised" (by six and by three). Presentations of 50 hymn cards (Bro. Hawes), a Holy Bible (W.Bro. McLean), three gavels and sounding boards (Bro. Ridley).
A Lodge of Instruction formed.
1914
Mar Last meeting until October 1916.  W.Bro. Parnell remained Master for three years by dispensation.
1915 Death of Col. A. J. Hopkins, Founder and first Treasurer.  Architect of Iverna Gardens Headquarters, 1885.
1917  Visit from the Grand Secretary, Sir Colville Smith. Bro. E. V. Field first Charity Steward. (Girls List 26 5s.Od).
1918 Presentation of Warrant case by W.Bro. J. H. Gunn.
1919 Petition for formation of Royal Arch Chapter.  W.Bro. McLean promoted P.D.G.Swd.B. at Peace Meeting. Lodge became Founding Member of Masonic Hospital, Fulham. Fee 100.
1920 Lodge became Hall Stone Lodge, Masonic Million Memorial.  Visit from R.W.Bro. Lt.Gen. Sir Francis Lloyd, G.C.V.O., K.C.B., D.S.O., P.G.W., Honorary Colonel of the Regiment.
1921 Lodge Committee recommended that military rank of Members, be stated on Summons.
1922 R.W.Bro. Lt. Gen. Sir Francis Lloyd elected Honorary Member.
1924 Visit of 2 Past Masters and 3 M.M.'s from New South Wales.   Hall Stone collarette presented to W .Bro. Lt. Col. P. A. Hopkins (W.M.).  Final Lodge contributions 761.
P.M.'s Jewel presented to W.Bro. Hopkins by V.W.Bro. Very Rev. Dean J. S. Brownrigg, P.G., Chaplain, who joined H.M. Forces in 1860 and was still on the Army List.
1926 Presentation of a set of silver-plated trumpets to the Regiment by the Lodge. 
Cost 21 12s.6d.
1928 The Lodge contributed 68 to the Regimental Band Fund.
1929 The Lodge decided to raise 1,000 to qualify for the honour of naming a bed in the Royal Masonic Hospital, with an initial donation of 100.  Total payment of 1,071 (including cost of name-plate) completed in 1934.  Consent of the commanding officer and of the Royal Borough of Kensington to the use of the Borough Crest embodied in the Regimental Crest.
1937 Visit of the Deputy Grand Master, R.W.Bro. Gen. Sir Francis Davies, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O. (Commander 8th Division, 1914).
1938 Visit of Asst. Grand Master, R.W. Bro. Brig.-Gen. W. H. V. Darell, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (Commander 4th London Infantry Brigade).  Visit of Bro. Sir John Shea, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., D.S.O. Honorary Colonel. (Commander 60th Division, Palestine).
1940 Visit of W.Bro. Percy Still, Past Grand Warden.
1942 Donation of 10 sent to O.C.A. Prisoners of War Fund.
1945 Visit of Grand Secretary, V.W.Bro. Sydney A. White.  Presentation to W.Bro. A. W. Foxwell on completing 25 years as Secretary of the Lodge.  The Grand Secretary informed the brethren that he had been initiated by W.Bro. Foxwell.  The Lodge sponsored the Lodge of Allegiance, No.6213.
1947 Death of W.Bro. A. W. Foxwell, T.D., P.A.G.Swd.B., Founder and Secretary 1919-1947. A memorial service was held at St. Mary Abbots Church, Kensington.
1948 Dedication of a Memorial Banner to W.Bro. Foxwell by W.Bro. Rev. R. Sturgess, Past Assistant Grand Chaplain.  Permission to wear " The Kensingtons" cap badge on officers'
collars in the Lodge granted by the Honorary Colonel, Gen. Sir H. Colville Wemyss, K.C.B., K.B.E., D.S.O., M.C., and by the Grand Master, " so long as membership thereof is confined to those associated with the Regiment".
1952

Ivory Gavel and base presented to the Lodge, engraved " Presented to the Kensington Battalion Lodge No.3624 by Colonel W. H. Godfrey, M.B.E., M.M., D.L., President of the O.C.A., as a token of gratitude for much hospitality and kindness.

Home page